Fayette Iowa School History
 

1833---The first Iowa school was a log cabin at Dubuque.
1838/39---
Iowa Territory was created; capitol at Iowa City.  A free common school was to be established in ever county formed.
1946---Iowa statehood; population 100k, 20k students, 400+/- school districts.  Andrew Hensley send children to Eads Prairie (Colesberg) for school.
1849/50---Indians pushed off land north of Mission Trail and 'white tide' starts into Fayette Co.

1850---First school in area at Wilcox (1st cabin in Fay.Co) settlement, 3mi SxSW of Main St. Fayette.
1853---The first school in the Fayette valley was a log, 12"x18', structure, located west of Clark St & the old high school grounds.
1855---Fayette was platted, Seminary and hotel started, only 8-10 structures around Main/Water St. area.
1857---The school was moved into the Seminary (College Hall, limestone main building) for a short period.
1858/1866---School held in various buildings both in Westfield and Fayette plats.
1866/67---The first brick grade school building constructed, on the SW corner of State and King Streets (the 'Grade School').
1881---The addition to the west side of the grade school was added (the 'platform' behind the Grade School).
1900---The first high school was occupied (and would be incorporated into the southern portion of the 1916 High School (addition).
1916---A new high school was built and moved into mid Feb 1917.
1917--The eighth grade moved to the High School building.
1920--Consolidation with area country schools.
1921--Sixth and seventh grades moved to the High School.  The remainder of the H. S. land was acquired.
1922---Bob Pond, a high school student wrote the school song, "Crimson Always Stands for Courage."
1932---The west side of the old elementary school burned in the spring (the foundation/basement remained to form the 'platform').
1946---The mascot was changed from "Little Peacocks" to "Cardinals", and the school song to "On Wisconsin."
1950-51---The gym was built to the south of the High School.  The old gym in the H.S. basement was used until into the 1940's when the college gym was used for games.  Grades 4 & 5 would be moved into the two gym classrooms.
1960---Fayette School District was about 41sq miles, mainly in Westfield Twp; includes Albany & Lima.
1984---Fayette High School closes and consolidates with North High in West Union.
1986---The High School is demolished during the winter and following spring.
1994---The first All-Cardinal Reunion started with classes of the late '50's and early '60's.
1999---The sixth annual All-Cardinal Gathering became the first all-class gathering (always the 3rd weekend in July).


The first school in the Fayette valley was a log, 12"x18', structure in the woods, located west of Clark St.
and the old high school grounds.  The log school was used from about 1853-1857. (a representative log structure)


Fayette School 1875
Built 1866/67, it was the only school building until the 1900 High School.
After the High School opened the School became the 'Grade School.'


The 1900 Fayette High School (1911 photo) was incorporated into the southern portion of the 1916 'addition.'

With non-accreditation looming in 1914-1915, from the Iowa State Dept. of Education, due to overcrowding, teacher load, course offerings, attempts to pass a bond issue for a new Fayette Iowa High School failed until March of 1916, when a bond issue for $25,000 passed to build an ‘addition to the 1900 building.  Initially the discussion was to build an addition on the south side of the 1900 building, however the end results was to build on the north side, remodeling the entire structure after many other high school being built in the 1900+era.  Work was started in June of 1916.  High School classes were held, on the order of the college model, in the College Seminary during the fall of 1916 and into the winter of 1917, until the High School building could be occupied in mid-Feb 1917.  A gym/auditorium, study hall, classrooms were added and blended into the 1900 structure forming the 1916 Fayette High School, which served until 1984 when the school closed and was demolished during the winter/spring of 1986..  What follows are some articles from Fayette paper,  the Fayette County Leader, copied word for word, which give an overview of the educational setting with the State advisory in Jan 1914, to Spring 1917, when the students moved into the new High School.  BZ/2004


FHS early fall 1916
Started Spring 1916, inside finish work would not be do done until early Feb 1917.  Total cost, $27,000.
The relatively new 1900 High School (above photo) was utilized within the southern portion of the new building.

A more complete history of Fayette High School:
http://www.iowaz.info/cardinals/fhs1916construction.htm

Last uploaded:  June 21, 2009
Send Fayette School information, photos, living history to save/upload.  iowaz@swbell.net

Larger versions of some the pics on this page, Annuals, class pics, etc.,
 may be uploaded into folders/albums on the photo hosting site.
http://public.fotki.com/iowaz/fayette_iowa_high/

 Iowaz Index Page
Iowaz Photo Hosting Site

 


Schools of Early Iowa and Fayette, Iowa
Some notes extracted and added too from 1878 History of Fayette Co, Iowa; 1910 History of Fayette County, by Fitch, pp261-267; 1874-1974 Fayette Centennial booklet.   Much of the material is original thought and speculation from background knowledge/experience. 

1833
For Iowa pioneer neighborhoods the log school house was almost always the first united public act of the setters.  The cabins usually had a native stone fireplace, often topped with a mud and stick chimney.  Any window areas were generally very small, often just covered with greased cloth or rawhide.  Floors were dirt or puncheon (split logs).  Seats/benches and any tables were made from split logs or rough boards. 

The first Iowa school was a log cabin at Dubuque built by James L. Langworthy and a few other lead miners in the Autumn of 1833.  Thirty-five students attended the winter of 1833-34 with George Cabbage employed as the teacher.  Barret Whittemore taught the spring term 1834 with twenty-five student.  Mrs. Caroline Dexter started teaching in Dubuque, March 1836, and was probably the first female Iowa teacher.

1834
One of the first buildings in Burlington was a rather large log school built in 1834, with Johnson Pierson the first teacher the winter of 1834-35.  In the Spring of 1837.  In the early years of Iowa Territory and State, nearly all the settlement was along the main rivers during the 1830+ to 1850 time frame.

1837
George Bumgardner taught the first classes in Muscatine Co, with a log school constructed at Muscatine in 1839.  Like many school building it served as a public hall and church.

1838
First school in Davenport. 
July 3, 1838, Iowa Territory was created.

1839
Jan 1, 1839, Territorial Legislature at Iowa City, passes an act, "There shall be established a common school or school in each of the counties in this Territory, which shall be open and free for every class of white citizens between the ages of five and twenty-one years."  "The County School Board shall, from time to time, form such districts in their respective counties whenever a petition may be presented for the purpose by a majority of the voters resident within such contemplated district."  Each school usually had three local trustees.  School was to be maintained at lest three months of the year.  Usually there was a winter session after harvest and Spring session before planting.  Later there would be a county school tax for the payment of teachers with any additional needed funds assessed to the parents of students. 

Thomas H. Benton opened an English and classical school in Dubuque.  In Fairfield, Clarissa Sawyer, James F. Chambers and Mrs. Reed taught school. 

1840
May of 1839, Iowa City was selected as the Territory Capitol.  The village was platted on the east bank of the Iowa River.  Sale of lots at the 'Capitol'  started Aug 18, 1839.   First public school tax levied in Dubuque.  By Jan 1, 1840, about twenty families has settled at Iowa City, and Jesse Berry had opened a school in a small frame building on College St.

Franklin Wilcox built (and credited with) the first log cabin in Fayette Co, Iowa, on the Mission Trail, on the west bank of Spring Creek (Alexander Creek) two plus miles SxSW of today's Main Street Fayette.  Before the area north of the Mission Trail opened to the 'white tide' in 1849/50, the area around the Wilcox cabin would become known as the Wilcox Settlement with a few other settlers building cabins nearby and along the Mission Trail from the Dubuque area to Ft. Atkinson in Winneshiek Co, Iowa.  From 1840 to 1850, the Wilcox Settlement was the main stopping point for several families; some would move on, others would stay close to the Westfield/Fayette settlements after 1850.

1843
John R. Gray settled about two miles from Eddyville in Monroe Co, and with several others built a school that opened the summer of 1844, taught by Urania Adams.  This school operated for about ten years.

1844
A school was opened by Samuel W. Caldwell at Oskaloosa in 1844, a year after the first cabin was built.

1846
Iowa becomes a state with a population of 100,000 with 20,000 being students in about 400 school districts.  Fort Des Moines, now the Capital of the State of Iowa, has a room in 'Coon Row' barracks where Lewis Whitten held classes the winter of 1846/47.

1846/47
Andrew Hensley who was living in the Bear Grove area, 4+mi to the ExSE of what would be Main St. Fayette, sent his children about 35 miles to school for the winter at Ead's Grove (Colesburg) area.  There was no school being held yet near what would be Fayette village. Andrew Hensley was a very early settler in Fayette Co.  The Hensley and collateral surnames would be major pioneers in the Lima/Albany area with offspring living in and around Fayette village.

1848
School opened at Center Point in Pottawattomie Co. by George Green, a Morman.  Until about 1854, nearly all the teachers in this area were Morman.

1849
Schools with more than one teacher would become 'graded' schools rather than all levels/ages in one room.

1850
The number of Iowa school districts had grown from 400 in 1846 to 1200 in 1850, and in 1857 to 3265 districts.

1833-1860+  Log cabin schools were the norm.  In 1861 there were 893 log cabin schools in Iowa; 1865, 796; 1870, 336; 1875, 121.  Frame one room schools would become the norm during the 1870's in the country.  Multi-room frame schools common in the villages until the bigger brick schools of the late 1800's/early 1900's.

1850 
The first school near what would become Fayette, 1850:
The first school taught in the vicinity of Fayette village was presided over by a Miss Adaline Fuller, a young lady who came into the neighborhood with the family of Clark Newcomb late in 1850 or very early in I851.  She was remembered as a pleasant teacher, who gave patient drills in reading, writing and arithmetic, plus oratorical training in speaking.  It was in this first school that such pieces as "The boy stood on the burning deck," "On Linden when the sun was low," "The melancholy days have come," etc., began to echo along the banks of Spring Creek (Alexander Creek).  The school was kept during the summer of 1851, and probably for several terms there­after, in the log cabin known as the "Wilcox place." This cabin stood on the west bank of Spring Creek (Alexander Creek) just at the spot where a little bridge now spans the stream a short distance west of the residence of A. N. McGarvey and about forty rods north of the house long known as the "Lamb place," but at that time the residence of Robert Alexander (Robert Alexander would move to his mill site at today's Klock Island Park and make his home in Westfield, which he platted in 1851).

How long the school was housed in the old "Wilcox place" is not definitely known, but probably until the log school house was built in the spring of I853 in the Westfield/Fayette village area.  The school taught at the Wilcox cabin,  was composed of pupils from the families of Robert Alexander, James E. Robertson, Samuel H. Robertson, Dr. (afterwards Colonel) Aaron Brown and N. N. Sykes. 

In late 1849/1850, Robert Alexander would move across the Neutral Ground line as it opened for settlement and build a mill at the bend of the Volga River at what is now the Klock's Island Park area.  A village would be platted as Westfield just to the east of the mill area.

1851
Westfield village is platted.  There are no structures on the river at Main St. Fayette, yet.

1853

Other families came into the Westfield (Fayette) area, such as the Dooleys, the Osborns, the Andersons. the Crowes and the Bogues, so that greater conveniences and a more central location were demanded. It must be remembered too, that the numerical ratio between pupils and families was not the same then as now, as most farming families had many children.  With the Newcombs, Alexanders, Robertsons, this was the nucleus for a sizeable local school district.
 
The first Westfield/Fayette School, 1853:
A school house in the Westfield (Fayette) area was a necessity. The location chosen "was in a beautiful grove about four rods (65ft) southeast of the present residence (1900+) of Charles Follett in the west part of town (Fayette), on West Clark Street.  {NOTE:  the location would have been on the south side of Clark St, basically across from the present (2000) school grounds.} It was built (in 1853) of logs, rolled up in the rough and "scalped down," chalked, scored, hewn to the line, and made ready for raising.  On the inside, was about sixteen by eighteen feet in size, with plank doors and four windows, each having six panes of eight-by-ten glass.  At that time it was the most 'imposing' structure for miles around.  A desk "was built around the sides, with a bench in front, on which the pupils might sit facing either way.

Seventeen year old T.W. Burdick taught the first school in Decorah, Winneshiek Co.  D.W. Scoville opened a school at Osceola.

1855

The Westfield School is inproved but crowded, 1855:
In the fall of 1855 regular desks were put into the Westfield/Fayette log school and the ceiling was lathed and plastered. The winter following (1855/56), the attendance reached fifty-three, making for a very crowed condition. The teachers were expected to "board around" (live with families of various students for a few weeks at a time) up to the spring of 1856, when the custom was discontinued.
 
How many terms Miss Fuller taught in the school is a matter neither of record nor of tradition. It was long enough, however, to make a lasting impression on the pupils. She is remembered as a pleasant lady, a faithful, painstaking instructor, striving in every way to accomplish the best for those under her care.
 
1856
Westfield/Fayette log school, 1856:
Miss Louisa Newcomb taught in the summer of 1855, and J. L. Paine in the winter of 1855-6. E. R. Mulnix and Mrs. Desdemona Dunham Mulnix in the spring and summer of 1856, followed in the winter by WeIlington Goodrich.

 
1857
Public school was held in the Seminary (UIU, 1857):
Fayette Seminary (UIU) opened January 7, 1857, and shortly afterwards a primary department (elementary grades) was established and for a time took the place of the public school (students went to ‘College Hall’ for instruction by ‘college’ students in an ‘experimental’ school setting). This course seemed more of a necessity, in as much as the log school house had been erected on private land, and in the booming days of 1857 had been sold, its (first log school) days of usefulness being considered ended. 

1858
School held in the Smith building on Main St, Fayette:
When the 'primary department' at the seminary was discontinued, the school had to be taken to various locations, were ever rooms could be found around Fayette.  The first place was the George Smith building on Main St, for 2 or 3 years.  Teachers who taught at Smith's were:  Fred L. Mitchell, Mary Martell, Miss Farrar, Celica Dayton, Christiana Beane, Lorin Bugbee, Miss Barrett.  Some of the time the Smith building was used for select school (private level), at other times for public school.

Supt. of Iowa Pubic Instruction, M.L. Fisher recommended in Mar 1858, "Each civil township is declared a school district," and should be divided into sub-districts.  This law reduced the number of Iowa districts from about 3500 to lest than 900.  This move reduced the cost of district secretaries and treasurers.

 
1860
School is held on Water Street in the Jones building:
Summer of 1860, the Fayette public school was moved to a building on Water St., on a lot belonging to Fleming Jones, which afterward was used as a chair factory.  Teachers associated with the two rooms of the Jones building were:  Miss Jennie Cole (married J.C. Magee), N.S. Harwood, David Sperry, Miss Doud, Miss Eaton, George Dayton, Miss Wilsie, Marian Babcock.  Before 1860, this building had been erected by Robert Alexander a mile or so to the northeast of the geographical center of the county (this would have been two plus miles north of Main St. Fayette or near the area of Stepp's Melon Stand of the 1900's), hoping to have the county seat located there, and had been moved to a lot on West Water street, owned by Fleming Jones, was used for school purposes.  It is likely both the Smith and Jones buildings, along with others,  were in use at the same time during some parts of the years from about 1858 to 1865.

1862
No records have been found prior to 1862. The recollections of the people, especially those who attended school in those days, are the only sources of information. These recollections give the following named persons as having taught in one or both of these rooms: Fred A. Mitchell, Mary Martell, Celia Dayton, Christiana Beane, Miss Doud, Miss Farrar, D. LorIn Bugbee, Miss Barrett, David C. Sperry, Jennie Cole, George Dayton, Miss Eaton, Miss WiItse, Marian Babcock and N. S. Harwood.
 
The earliest record that has been found bears date of October 8,1862. On that date a meeting of the electors was held at the school house on Water Street.  D. Vines was elected president of the board; E. A. Hallock, vice-president; H. M. Burch, secretary, and Dr. D. Alexander, M. B. Norton and Alex Winston, directors.  It was decided to maintain three schools during the ensuing winter (1862/63), two in Fayette and one in Westfield. The Fayette teachers were paid $18 per month each and the Westfield teacher $13. Rooms were rented from D. Vines, Andrew Doty and P. D. Gardner.

Daniel Vines was president of the board from 1862 until 1870.

Among those who have been teachers in the Fayette public schools since 1862 are recorded the names of Miss. C.E. Robertson, Alcinic Boardman, Miss M. E. Babcock, S.M Doud, Miss C. Alexander, N.S. Harwood, S.H. Drake, Jane A. Cole, May Griffith, Louisa Eaton, L.C. Clark, Mrs. N.D. Hulbert, Eliza Willsie, Miss Biggs, Miss L. Strayer, William McNeil, Ella Redpath, Kate Wilcox, B.W. Lacy, C.W. Clar, J.C. MaGee, Lucretia Brunson, L.M. Butler, George Gregory, J.W. Callender, Miss S.S. Rafter, Maxey Patterson, D.L. Bugbee, Sarah E. Preston, Nellie Aldrich, Lucretia Parsons,  W.H. Miller, Emma S. Potter, M.J. Goodrich, Mattie E. Boyce, Nettie Barnard, Miss Palmer.

1863
In February, 1863, the board provided for two schools for the spring term, one in Fayette and one in Westfield, in the Vines and Doty rooms. At this same meeting (in Feb of 1863), D. Vines, E. A. Hallock and H. M. Burch appointed a committee "to get plans for a (large) school house (in Fayette)."  (This would be the first public school built in Fayette, the grade school on the SW corner of Clark and King Streets that some still remember and attended, 2000+.)
 
Simeon Henry Drake, who was graduated from the Upper Iowa University at the preceding commencement (spring 1863), was employed to teach the Fayette school, and would have taught in one of the two schools held in the fall of 1863 in the Vines and Doty houses, but resigned November 23, 1863,  to enter the army.
 
1864
On April 18,1864, a tax of one mill was levied for a teachers' fund and one and a half mills for a contingent fund. Rooms were rented for the winter of 1864-5 of Charles Hoyt and Fred Cain. 

1865
January 28, 1865, lots were purchased of Edwin Cave for one hundred and fifty dollars, and in March of 1865, it was decided to build a brick school house. In April, 1865, a tax of ten mills was voted for school house funds.

A room for the winter term of 1865-6 was rented from Mrs. Elizabeth Alexander, and Miss Catherine Alexander was one of the teachers. The subjects taught were orthography, reading, writing, arithmetic, grammar and geography.

 
1866
On February I, 1866, plans and specifications for a school house, prepared by G. P. Randall of Chicago, were adopted. For some reason these plans were not used, but had to be paid for to the amount of one hundred and seventy dollars. The plans of Rev. Mr. Skinner were finally adopted as a basis for the work of construction.
 
The records do not so state directly, but it is probable that the school was first housed in its own building (unfinished) in the winter of 1866/67 (the 'grade school' of the 1900's).  Two teachers only being employed, William C. MeNeal and Elizabeth (Lydia) Strayer.

1867
The Fayette school building was begun in 1866 and completed in 1867, at a cost of about $4,000. 

Elizabeth Lydia Strayer, one of the first to teachers in the 1866 School, was the second child of John Strayer and Elizabeth Heckart.  The Strayer’s and Heckart’s were German families that entered the Susquehanna River flowage area of Pennsylvania in the 1730+ time frame.  There were millers, farmers and craftsmen.  In 1838, a young John Strayer and Eliz Heckart accompanied her father and family to Shelby County on the Salt River Flowage in NE Missouri, where they built mills and farmed.  In 1852/53, the Strayer/Heckart combination made original entry into much of the Upper Iowa River flowage from upriver of Decorah, downriver past Freeport.  They would build the first big mill at Freeport and run it from 1854 to the mid 1860’s.  Elizabeth Lydia Strayer would attend the college in Fayette in the early 1860’s before becoming one of the first teachers in the ‘grade school.’  Lydia would go on to teach for many years and also be a principal.  Lydia's brother Valentine Strayer from Freeport (my ggrandfather), attended UIU, graduating in the mid 1860's.  He would to on to teach and principal at Calmar, also starting a hardware and tinning business at Calmar.  Valentine would move back to farm in the Fayette area, eventually owning the 160a farm of Col. Aaron Brown, 3mil SW of Fayette or just south of Eagle Point, west of the Wilcox Settlement.  Valentine would retire to south King St, being a neighbor of the Dr. Parker family.  Vol would marry Mary Parsons of Fayette, whom he met at UIU.   All of Vol's children graduated from FHS and attended UIU.   BZ/1999
 
Obit Elizabeth Lydia Strayer
Born in Shelbyville, Missouri in 1846, of John and Elizabeth Heckart Strayer. Moved to Freeport, Iowa in 1852, with the family as John and a Heckart brother of Elizabeth laid claim to a large amount of the Upper Iowa River bottom in what would become Freeport, Iowa.  They set up a mill, as they had been mill wrights in Shelbyville.  In 1871 Elizabeth Strayer married Albert E. Manchester originally from Beaver Dam, Wisconsin.  He was a railroad man and they resided in Mason city and Dubuque, Iowa until 1893, when Albert was called to Milwaukee as Superintendent of Motive Power (locomotives) of the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul Railway System.  The couple would live the rest of their lives in Milwaukee.  Elizabeth died April 12, 1904 at the age of 58, at her home, 2619 Wells St. Milwaukee, Wisc.  She left a husband, Daughter, two sons, two brothers, and three sisters.  Elizabeth was an exemplary woman, a model in the home, active in church, with many friends.  Her daughter Alice Elizabeth Mooney lived in the Milwaukee area.
 
Paper Article, March 1887---We have had some first class teachers in Fayette, whom we are always glad to welcome when returning after years of absence in home duties and as teachers of children of their own.  One of these gave us a call the others day, known to us twenty-four years ago as Miss Libbie (Eliz Lydia) Strayer, now Mrs. Manchester, of Mason City.  She was one of the few teachers who then persisted in her calling term after term, and made an enviable record in a profession not then, as now, crowded with applicants for place at any price. 
 
Descendants of John Strayer
 
    1          STRAYER, John      1818 - 1878
-       +HECKART, Elizabeth     1821 - 1888
    2          STRAYER, Catharine Minerva  1841 - 1917
----           +SCHNEIDER, Aaron A.          1835 - 1903
    2          STRAYER, Elizabeth Lydia    1846 - 1904
----           +MANCHESTER, Albert E.     
    2          STRAYER, Margaret               1847 - 1850
    2          STRAYER, Valentine E.          1848 - 1937
----           +PARSONS, Mary Elizabeth   1852 - 1944
    2          STRAYER, John Adam Little    1851 - 1936
----           +SHEETZ, Lucy Catharine       1855 - 1914
    2          STRAYER, Ruth D.  1852 - 1897
----           +BOYD, Jacob L.     1851 -
    2          STRAYER, Martha   1853 - 1933
----           +MCINTOSH, Alexander M.     1850 - 1936
    2          STRAYER, Lucinda B.            1856 - 1922
----           +B.HALLMAN, Samuel            1854 - 1936
    2          STRAYER, Eber.C.  1858 - 1912
----           +GREENE, Katherine J.          1857 -
    2          STRAYER, Eva D.   1860 - 1879
    2          STRAYER, Cora Adelle           1863 - 1938
----           +KNIGHT, Aaron      1859 – 1913
 
1867, Fall
In the ensuing fall only two teachers were employed at Fayette, Miss Kate Wilcox and Miss Jennie Cole.  By winter (of 1867/68) the two upper rooms were occupied, thus utilizing the whole of the (school) house as then constructed, and Ella Ridpath and Carrie Robertson were added to the teaching force. Miss Ridpath resigned before the close of the term and it was completed by Ben. W. Lacy, now (1910) Judge Lacy, of Dubuque.
 
1868
On April 28, 1868, the following teachers were elected for three months: C. W. Wright, principal,  William Garrison, Jennie Cole, and Carrie Robertson. Previous to that time the records are silent as to the names of teachers except in the cases mentioned.
 
From 1868 onward the principals and teachers came in the order given in their respective lists. The annals thus far given have been necessarily dependent largely on the memory of the older members of the community.

1870
School Board; M. C. Sperry, D. Shaffer, J. L. Paine and A. Winston from that 1870 until 1874.

1871


Pictograph of Fayette, Iowa, in 1871.  View is from the NE to the SW.

1872
The Iowa Legislature rules the formation of that the sub-districts in townships would be become independent districts again.

1874
School Board; Allen Holmes from from 1874 to 1880.


 


Primary room  (early grades)

 

1876
The Board in 1876:  Allen Holmes, President; Amos Matthews, C.E. Hurlbert, W.A. Hoyt, Daniel Davis and J.E. Budd.  Mr. Krophfler and Misses Rice. Appelman and Woodard were teachers during the school year 1876-1877.

S.W. Cole was the first Fayette Co. Superintendent of Schools followed by G.W. Fitch in 1876.

1877
Allen Holmes and Thomas Fowells were elected to the school board.  Five-mill tax was levied to repair the school, adding new seats and fencing the grounds at a cost of $1000.   Teachers; Mr. Krophfer, Ms's Rice, Woodard, Scobey, Holmes.

Fayette County Schools in 1876/1877
District townships, 12/12
Independent districts, 75/67
Sub-districts, 91/91
Ungraded schools, 159/158
Graded schools, 7/8
Average duration, months, 5.9/7.0
Male teachers, 84/99; compensation, $39.75/32.32
Female teachers, 230/233; compensations, $20.86/22/77
Male students, 4487/4592
Female students, 4232/4373
Pupils enrolled, 6830/6998
Average daily attendance, 3120/4138
Tuition per student, $1.35/1.29
Number of frame schools, 138/136
Number of brick schools, 8/17
Number of stone schools, 0/9
Number of log schools, 2/0

Value of schools, $97,415/100,445
Value of apparatus, $950/1,675

1878
Elected to the school board;  J.E. Budd and C. Schoonmaker.  W.F. Boyce, secretary.

1881
 At the March meeting of 1881 a tax of eight hundred dollars was voted with which to build the addition on the west side of the grade building, thus furnishing six rooms, and when these became insufficient to properly accommodate the increasing attendance, a room was secured for a time over George Scobey's store.

1889
Class of '89 (4 graduated):  Mary Wilbur, Kate E. Boyce, Mary Cunningham, Letta Robertson.  Graduation, Thur, March 21, 1889, M.E. Church.

1895
Class of '95 (19 graduated): Ray H. Belknap (would become county supt. of schools, son of Edward)  Robert Boyce, George Buffington, Charles Cave, Myrtle Childs, Erma E. Cole (Davis), John R. Dickinson, Lottie Davis, John Dorman (class pres, Fayette dentist, UIU coach, i.e. Doc Dorman), Milo Knight, Mable McCormack (Baldwin), Ray McLean, Amy F. Shepard, Oliver W. Stevenson (Fayette attorney & historian), Lottie Turner (Downing), Rena Earle Twithell, Harriet A. Wilbur,  Edna Mae Will, Lillian Will.  Graduation, Friday, March 29, 1895, Opera House, Principal C.F. Geiser.  
Sponsoring businesses:
  D.C. Rathburn & Co. Druggists, M.J. Hartman Dry Goods & Tailoring, J.(James) H. Humiston Restaurant, J.H. Boyce Sundries & Jewelry, F.S. Walker's Drug Store, P.H. Schlatter Harness Maker, C.K. Sherwood Laundry, H.C. Child's Shoe Store and Cobbler, Winston's Grocery, Montogmery & Latimer Bicycles, Dorman & Forbes Dentists, R.R. & T. James Grocery and Goods, Baker Bicycles and Jewlery, Graf and Son's Hardware Stoves Buggies Carriages Wagons, Harry Kinyon Bakery Confections Ice Cream,  Denniston & Graham Dress Goods and Trimmings, Edmunds Furniture and Undertaking, Scobey & Duncan Groceries and Provisions.

1898
 At length, on March 14, 1898, a tax was voted with which to erect the present commodious high school building.


'Third Room,' Fayette Iowa School 1898

 

1900
The first Fayette High School building was occupied in the fail of 1900, since which time the schools have been under the direction of Superintendents L. T. Newton, J. E. Moore and C. D. McGoon. Harold S. Craig has been elected to the position, to begin his work in the fall of 1910.

Principals and teachers from 1868 to 1910:
 Principals- C. W. Wright, J. c. Magee, J. W. Callender, Sarah E. Preston, Rev. W. H. Miller, M. J. Goodrich, Chauncey Burch, T. F. Johnson, Mr. Mariott, Sarah B. Scobey, J. S. Van Dyke, C. A. Husband, J. B. Knoep­fier, P. R. Woods, H. F. Kling, S. S. Wright, J. W. Wyatt, F. H. Bloodgood, A. E. Chapman, C. F. Geiser, F. E. Finch, Mable Lossing and Eleanor GarrIson.
 Teachers- William Garrison, Susie James, Lydia Butler, Maxie Patter­son, George Gregory, Lucretia Brunson, D. L. Bugbee, S. A. Rafter, Sarah B. Scobey, Nellie Aldrich, Lucretia Parsons, Emma Potter, Mattie Boyce, Nettie Barnard, Miss Palmer, Ella Lee, Fannie Alexander, Grace Strong, Elizabeth Woodward, Emma Rice, Mary Ordway, Miss  Van De Mark, Hettie Latimer, Miss Sanford, Alsina Boardman, Belle Fowells, Miss Appleman, Carrie Scobey, Nellie A. Jones, Willa Holmes, Miss L. C. Holmes, Mrs. Elizabeth Sayles, Abbie Woodward, Hattie Thornton, Della Mack, Alma Muffiy, Elva Welling, Sarah Cavanaugh, Thomas Vincent Hunt, Mrs. R. W. Temple, Mary D. Hatch, Sylvia Markham, Ella Widger, Dell Noble, Ina Hayward, Fannie Grannis, George \V. Cotton, Joanna Davis, Marilla Mathews, Mrs. A. E. Chesley, Anna Fowells, Mary Bailey, Anna L. Huie, Harriet Bogert, Lucy A. Hunt, Ida S. Will, Mrs. Boale, Edith F. Ellsbury, L. Belle Mathews, E. Emah Vvill, Day L. Grannis, Josephine Burling, Hattie McLean, Ada L. Whitley, Minnie Taylor, Etta Eldredge, Sue M. Merriam, Matie Alexander, Lillian Miles, Lillian Will, Dollie Twitchell, Edith Snowden, Esther O'Neal, Miriam Confare, Georgia Stafford, Edith Lockridge, Lena Walker, Mildred Simonds, Bessie Darling, Dora Carter, Josephine Liers, Myra Finney, Lillian Ludwig, Erma Cole, C. D. McGoon, T. M. E. Peck, Martha Paulus, Enah Hill, Hadwin Williams, Edna Dorman, Herbert Percy-Hames, Jessie Manson and Mrs. H. W. Troy. Since the introduction of music and art, Misses Violet Hammond, Cora S. Jones and Enah Hill have taught the former, and Mrs. Mabel L. Patterson, Miss Nellie Stevenson and Prof. Frank J. Davis, the latter.
 
1905
Every city, town and village has a graded school system, and the rural schools have been so far graded that since 1905 they have held rural school commencements each summer, generally at the courthouse in West Union, where from fifty to one hundred country boys and girls have taken 8th grade diplomas, showing that they have completed the first eight years of the school course.  These diplomas admit them to any high schools in the county.

1907

SCHOOL RULES AND REGULATIONS, 1907
General Management
1. The school year-The school year shall consist of thirty-six weeks, divided into two semesters of eighteen weeks each.
2. Daily sessions-The school sessions shall begin at 9:00 a.m., and 1:15 p.m. A warning bell shall be rung at 8: 30 a.m. and 1: 00 p.m.; an assembly bell at 8:55 a.m., and 1:10 p.m., and a tardy bell shall be struck at 9:00 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. All buildings shall be open at 8:30 a.m. and 1: 00 p.m., and pupils may not enter the buildings unless accompanied by a teacher, nor assemble on the premises earlier.
3. Time of first entry-Pupils who have not been in school previously may enter the first grade only at the beginning of the school year. Pupils may enter the grades above the first at any time, but parents are urged to have their children enter the first week and maintain a regular and prompt attendance. This is of the highest importance for the welfare of the pupil and the accomplishment of the best results in the schools.
4. Supplies of pupils-Pupils may not attend classes un‑less provided with the necessary textbo0ks, note-books, pencils and materials needed for successfully carrying on the work of the class. In case of pecuniary inability on the part of the parent to provide such supplies, the teacher shall report the matter to the Superintendent who may pro‑vide the necessary materials through the Committee on Supplies.
5. Tuition-Non-resident pupils may be admitted to the Fayette schools, provided there is seating room, upon the payment of the following rate of tuition:
Grades 1 to 8, inclusive, $1.25 per month.        
Grades 9 and 10, $1.70  per month.
Grades 11 and 12, $2.40 per month.
Tuition must be paid on or before the end of each month for that month, and the Secretary's receipt must be presented to the Superintendent for record.
6. Advertising-No agent, lecturer or exhibitor shall be permitted to use the schools for any purpose connected with their business, except by permission of the Superintendent. Nor shall notices be given in the schools of any exhibition, lecture or other public exercises without permission. The schools and school premises shall in no way be an advertising medium except for those things that pertain to their welfare and upbuilding.
7. Athletics-Athletics in the schools shall be under the direct supervision of the superintendent or some one ap‑pointed by him with the approval of the Board of Education for that purpose. The Rules and Regulations of the Iowa High School Athletic Association shall govern in the con‑duct of all contests with other schools.
8. Absence and tardiness-In case of tardiness or absence from school, pupils are required to bring a written excuse signed by the parent or guardian stating the cause of the occurrence. This excuse should be presented at the next session the pupil attends. Promptness and regularity are elements of intellectual honesty, and are qualities great‑ly sought after in the commercial world. One of the important benefits that a child should receive from his school life is the training in these elements, and parents are urged not to regard lightly the importance of punctual and regular attendance on the part of their children. Only sickness or some absolutely unavoidable occurrence should be considered sufficient cause for absence. A degree of illness that causes a pupil to absent himself from school, but permits attendance at the ball game or tennis court is insufficient, and the parent who writes an excuse assigning illness as the cause of absence, under such condition, does his child a positive moral injury that should never be practiced.
9. Morals and manners-An education that trains the intellect alone and neglects to develop the will III controlling the actions of the individual toward his fellows must be regarded as a menace to society; hence, the cultivation of a high moral standard in the mind of the child is of fundamental importance. Truth, justice, morality, integrity, honesty, reverence, kindness, civility and patriotism should be taught by precept, frequently by incidental admonition, by means of the story and by apt illustrations. Character is the most potent factor in the development of character, polite‑ness in the development of politeness and reverence in the development of reverence. The daily life of the teacher,
within and without the school room, will be far more potent in shaping the lives of the children than any lessons that can be taught by precept. It is expected of the teachers in the Fayette public schools bat their lives shall be an up‑lift to the children that may come under their tuition. Pupils should be led to knowledge and respect the duties and rights of themselves and of others. Shearer's" Morals and Manners" may be made the basis for a definite study of the subject in the grades.
10. Physical culture-The health of the pupils shall be regarded with the highest care by school officials and teachers. A regular drill in calisthenics shall be given daily in each grade which has for its object the cultivation of correct habits of bathing, sitting, standing, walking, relaxation, etc. Proper ventilation must be maintained at all times.
11. Scholarship-The following factors will aid greatly toward good scholarship and are worthy of the careful consideration of all patrons of the schools: (1) Regular and early hours for retiring, providing for sufficient sleep. (2) A needed amount of plain, wholesome food taken at regular intervals, and comfortable clothing suited to the season. (3) Abstinence from the use of stimulants and narcotics, such as tea, coffee, tobacco and alcoholic drinks. (4) Surroundings made pleasant by kindness, encouragement and good cheer. (5) Obedience to and respect for parental and civil authority. (6) A desire for success and happiness in life and the recognition of the public school as a ready means to those ends. (7) Co-operation between home and school. (8) Regular hours out of school held sacred for study. (9) Regular and punctual attendance.
12. Standing of pupils-The class standing of pupils is marked with the following letters: E, G+, G, F+, F, and P. E indicates excellent work and represents a grade of 95 to 100 per cent., G+ represents a grade between 90 and 95 per cent., G between 85 and 90 per cent., F+ between 80 and 85 per cent., F between 75 and 80 per cent. Any grade be‑low 75 per cent. is represented by P and indicates unsatisfactory work in that subject, which the pupil will be required to take again, unless satisfactorily made up. Teachers shall keep a record of the daily recitation work of each pupil, and also of the written tests. In determining the standing of a pupil, the daily recitation and written work shall each count one-half. Any pupil who makes an average semester grade of G+ in scholarship in any subject may be exempt from the final semester examination in that sub‑ject, provided his record in deportment for the semester is E.
13. Special-The schools are maintained for the good of the pupils that attend them and their interests will be con‑served at all times. Any conditions arising which have not been covered by the rules and regulations here formulated will be met, considered and adjusted according to the merits of the case as seen by those under whose authority the case may arise.
 
Superintendent
14. The Superintendent of schools shall be the executive officer of the Board and as such shall have general supervision of the schools and buildings and shall make and enforce such rules and regulations, not in conflict with the rules of the Board, as he may deem conducive to the best interests of the schools.
          15. He shall visit each department as often as possible, and make himself familiar with the work of each teacher.
          16.  He shall see that the regulations of the Board are enforced.
          17. He shall make all promotions and classify all new pupils.
18. He shall investigate all complaints, and strive to pro‑mote harmony between teachers and pupils. He shall also consult with the patrons of the school when necessary.
19.  He shall attend the meetings of the Board and shall report to them the condition of the schools whenever they request it.
20. He shall see that the records of attendance and work of each pupil are kept and that periodical reports of each pupil's advancement are made to patrons.
21. He shall have power to fill vacancies caused by temporary absence of teachers, and shall report the same to President of the Board.
22. He may suspend any pupil guilty of willful disobedience of the teacher, gross misconduct, impudence or truancy, notice of such action to be forwarded to the parent or guardian at once. Such pupil may be restored only through the operation of conditions stipulated in the inter‑est of future obedience. He may recommend to the Board the indefinite suspension or expulsion of any pupil found
 

1909
In Iowa:

Number of school houses,  191
Number of school rooms,  254
Value of school houses,  $244,860
Average number of months in school year, 8
Teachers employed-Males, 44; average compensation, $70.35/month
Teachers employed-Females, 323; average compensation, $39.80/month
Amount paid teachers in 1908-9.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$88,543.56
 umber of pupils between 5-21,males. ….4,598
Number of pupils between 5-21, females….4,456
Volumes in libraries, 7,830
Value of apparatus, $12,840

1908
Fayette, 1908, looking south from the Main/Water St. intersection.  The grade school is two blocks to the right at the second pole;  the high school four blocks right.  The student population in the new 1900 high is growing toward capacity faster than expected.


Fayette, Iowa, 1908, Main and Water Street intersection, looking south. 

1910
School Board:
The following list gives names and tenures of subsequent incumbents in 1910: Amos Matthews, five years; G. R. Edmunds, one year; J. E. Robertson, one year; J. W. McLean, two years; Ed Kelley, four years; J. H. Boyce, three years; Ed. Kelley, three years; J. W. McLean, two years; F. E. Sanders; one year; M. J. Hartman, nine years.
 
Early School Board Secretaries:
The names of those who have held the office of secretary from 1862 to 1910 are: H. M. Burch, S. E. Waterbury, M. F. Billings, P. R. Woods, E. C. Howe, W. F. Boyce, John E. Fowells, A. J. Berkstresser,  W. M. Rickert and George M. McCann.
 
The office of treasurer has been filled by J. L. Grannis, Thomas Fowells, S. E. Waterbury and C. R. Carpenter.

1911
Fayette, 1911, looking north from the Main/State St. intersection.  The 1865 iron bridge is in the background.  A new bridge would be constructed in 1916 and last until the 1970's when replaced.  From the mid teens to abt. 1920 there would be numerous major 'improvements' in Fayette to include a bigger high school, new bridge, some street pavement, sewer system, improvements in water, electricity, phones.   The schools are 2 and 4 blocks to the left.  Fayette House Hotel in on the right.  Note the fire hydrant in the lower right corner.  Fayette is growing in population and commerce.  Water, electricity, phone utilities are present for some structures in the blocks around the the business area, although lanterns and hand water pumps are still common.  There is some coal coming in on the train but still most people cannot afford to burn much coal so the stoves and big central furnaces still use wood bought from sawyers or cut themselves from small wood plots they own.  There is no sewer system yet, so every structure utilizes outhouses.  Numerous residences still are basically tiny farmsteads keeping a cow or two, chickens, a few pigs, growing sizeable gardens, etc.  They will have small barns and sheds to house animals and perhaps a riding horse or carriage.  Long run stages and teamsters are gone.  Mail, passengers and supplies increasingly come in on the trains since the mid 1870's.   Liveries still rent horses and carriages.  Autos have recently just shown up and a few share the streets with carriages and wagons.  UIU has grown and is attracting students from the area and other states.  Numerous UIU students meet and marry as a result of meeting in college.  Some stay in the village;  all generally keep deep ties to the 'valley.'   A significant number of Fayette teachers come from the UIU student body.  Many of the UIU produced teachers would do practice teaching in the Fayette schools.  Fayette students increasingly would utilize UIU facilities, with many attending UIU.  The 1900 Fayette High School is nearing capacity and will become 'overcrowded' in a few years, leading to the building of the 1916 High School 'over the top' of the 1900 High School


Main Street, Fayette, Iowa, 1911, intersection of Main and State Streets, looking north to the 1865 bridge that would be replaced in 1915/16.  Fayette House Hotel is on the right.


1912

Fayette Grade School
A brick entry has been added.  Until the 1900 High School was built, this building housed all grades to include the few students that remained to graduate with a high school diploma.   Between 1900-1917, the grade school houses K-8th.  In 1917, the 8th grade was moved to the new high school.  In the early years there were classes also held in the basement.  Early heating was from wooden stoves in each room but with the west addition a central hot water heating system was installed with the furnace and boiler under the west addition, the chimney visible, upper right. 


Fayette, Iowa, Grade School in 1911, build in 1866/67.

The right side room of the entry (children peeking out) would become a teacher's room.   Far right, middle of the picture, one can just see the eve of the back/west addition to the grade school, which would burn in 1934.  After the fire and the loss classrooms there was crowding of classes between the two buildings until the gym was built in the early 1950's.   In the 1940's until closed,  primary was on 1st floor right/north; 1st grade, 1st floor left/south; 2nd grade, 2nd floor left/south; 3rd grade, 2nd floor, right/north.   As school lunches (hot lunch) grew after WWII, the basement of the grade school became the lunch room for all classes, including the high school.  The kitchen was located at the open window in the picture, with the rest of the basement used for student seating at lunch tables.  The entry to the basement was on the left/south side of the entry door. 

When built in 1866/67, this school was a major structure of local brick, with a local limestone foundation, window and door mantels.  The hardwood for floors and walls coming from the local sawmills and plaster form local lime burners.  There was no railroad until after 1873/74 so all supplies came in by teamsters from the Mississippi River ports between Dubuque and McGregor or in some cases up from the Marion/Cedar Rapids area.  Fayette had an abundant supply of master masons, carpenters, mechanics for construction because of their migration to the valley to work on the building of the college Seminary in 1855/57.

1915
The stage is set for the building of the new 1916-1984 high school.
 
In 1915 there was a serious lack of classroom space. A $25,000 bond was approved of an addition to the High School building on March 20, 1916. Work started in June of that year and classes were held at Upper Iowa College during construction.


Fayette, Iowa, plat just before the building of the 1916/17 High School



1917
Feb 1917, the new high school was moved into for classes.
Dedication of the new high school took place May I, 1917.
 
Fall of 1917, the eighth grade moved to the high school building, leaving more room in the old building for the elementary grades.

1920
On May 21, 1920, an election was held for the movement to consolidate with various area Country Schools. The vote was carried and this greatly increased the number of students the following fall, especially in the grades.
 

1921
Summer, 1921, More land was added to the school grounds and the sixth and seventh grades were moved to the new building that fall, thus leaving the old building completely to the elementary grades.  Shop classes would eventually be moved into the house on the new property to the south of the High School.  From Fall 1921 to Fall 1934 (fire burned the west wing classrooms), grades K-5 were housed in the Grade School.

 
1934
1934, May 15, early morning, fire destroyed the west wing of the Fayette Grade School before students had entered the building.  Loss was set at $10k.  Insurance coverage was $6.5k with $500 on contents.

1940

1941

Fayette, Iowa, School Workers...of the 1928-1929 school year on August 2, 1941, in front of Gladys Johnston's home with
Archie Sylvester Morse (Professor Morse).  Prof. Morse was Superintendent of Fayette Schools from 1928-1944.  The Morse family
lived across from the Grade School, on the east side of King Street, 2nd house north of the Clark/King corner.   He also had a
farm 3mi west of Fayette that he rented to Frank Edmunds.  Prof. Morse also supervised UIU student teachers.  He was superintendent
from 1928-1944.  The sixteen years being the longest term of any Fayette superintendent.  Mr. E. Garrison had a fifteen year term, 1910-1925.
The family moved to West Union in 1944, when Archie became Fayette County School Superintendent from 1944-1958, then for both
Fayette and Chickasaw Co's from 1858-1964.  Archie retired to Florida in 1964, then to Wisc. in 1980 but joined his dau. Avis at Ames in 1981.
Avis graduated from FHS in 1945 and has supplied photos and history for Fayette pages.

1951
A new gymnasium with a stage and locker rooms was built in 1951 south of the high school building. The old gym had been in the basement of the high school building.  The old gym was changed into an auditorium, but by the 1970’s was converted to classrooms housing the fifth and sixth grades.  A more complete history of Fayette High School:  http://www.iowaz.info/cardinals/fhs1916construction.htm

1960
School Fayette School District in 1960 was about 41sq. miles mainly in Westfield Twp, including Albany and Lima.  Class sizes  ranged from 25-45.

1964

1966
A new grade school building was erected southeast of the gymnasium in 1966. It replaced the old grade school building, located a block east of the high school building. The old building was torn down and the bricks were buried underneath the ground.
 
1971
In 1971 a tornado ripped through Fayette (actually not a tornado but high sustained frontal winds). Damaging many houses and uprooting countless trees, it also did damage to the school. The boys' locker room and a portion of the gym roof were completely demolished. This was repaired and a number of band practice rooms were built over the boys' locker room.
 
1973
In the summer of 1973, there was some extensive re‑modeling done to the main portion of the high school building. Rooms were made larger and the gym floor was refinished.  To demonstrate our great pride, a rather humorous cardinal was painted in the middle of the gym floor.

1984
Fayette High School closed for good.  Only the early grades remained in Fayette after the consolidation with North High at West Union.

A more complete history of Fayette High School:  http://www.iowaz.info/cardinals/fhs1916construction.htm
 
Fayette School Superintendents
The office of Superintendent was created in 1900 at the time the new high school building was erected and occupied. Holding the position of Superintendent have been the following:
1900-1910--LT. Newton, J.E. Moore, C.C. McCoon, H.S. Craig
1910-1925--E. Garrison
1925-1928--C. W. Holms
1928-1944--AS. Morse
1944-1947--H.S. Matt
1948-1948--W. Van Morne
1948-1953--M.E. Colbert
1953-1960--Paul C. Pickett
1960-1966--Dean Curtis
1966-1971--Charles Raymond Rutt
1971-1972--Robert C. Jacobson
1972-1974--Michael G. Mitchell
1974--Richard Glidden
 
Fayette yearbooks and other material are uploaded to the photo site, and will show faculty/students:
http://public.fotki.com/iowaz/fayette_iowa_high/
 

1986 
Fayette High School is torn down.
  The 1952 Gym is left standing as part of the 1966 grade school.


[The following article by Hon. H. L. Adams is not intended to be exhaustive, but simply an introduction to the subject of education, the minutiae of which appears in connection with the history of the townships, towns and villages under their proper classification.--Editor (Fitch, 1910 History).]

"Tell me a tale of the early days.  Of the times as they must to be."
 
Wherever the Anglo-Saxon takes his family, he takes his ideals, and he usually keeps his ideals near enough to the real so that he can reach them. However numerous the difficulties, and however great the privations, he has ever striven to educate himself, and he has given to his descendants better ad­vantages than he himself has had. Though he came to Iowa from the frontier woods and prairies, or the developed cities of the East, he brought with him a desire to give to his children better training than he had.

It was with these people that Fayette county first became settled. It was these people who gave to Fayette county her early history, and although these people themselves, many of them, have long since gone to their reward, traces of their ideals are as plainly marked as were.  The trails of the red men across the unbroken prairies in the days when they lived. The history of these rug­ged pioneers is written with the indelible pen of progress, and no pages are more legible than those of their early schools, plus their ideals, that have grown into our schools of today.
 
Many of these mighty writers are gone, and of those who remain, only a few can be found who remember, in detail, the beginning of our public school system in Fayette county.  No trace now remains of the old log school house, with its dirt or puncheon floor; with its puncheon benches set around the wall, and puncheon door; with its windows, sometimes on one side only and sometimes on two, made by taking out a log and leaving the hole open or covering it with greased paper; with its fireplace and back-log. The lonely path to the school, where the children often encountered wolves, deer, and wild turkey, and some­times saw a bear or wild cat, are now fenced highways with bowing grain and lowing herds on every side.
 
"Beside yon lonely path, in rural school,
The master sought his little flock to rule.
The neighbors all declared how much he knew;
'T'was certain he could write and cipher too;
Lands he could measure, terms and tides presage,
And even the story ran that he could gauge.
In arguing, too, the parson owned his skill; 
For e'en though vanquished, he could argue still;
While words of learned length and thundering sound
Amazed the gazing rustics ranged around,
And still they gazed and still the wonder grew
That one small head should carryall he knew."
 
But how different is our history from that indicated in Goldsmith's next line. He says, "But past is all his fame." We must say, "But alive is all his fame." Goldsmith further says, "The very spot, "where many a time he triumphed, is forgot." Though we may have forgotten the names of many of our early teachers in Fayette county, if we ever knew them; though we may have forgotten that they sometimes taught in private houses for one dol­lar per week, and "boarded 'round,’ though we may have forgotten that the term lasted only a few weeks in the year; though we may have forgotten that there were as many different kinds of text books as there were different families in the neighborhood, we have not forgotten, nor can we forget, that in these schools lessons were so well taught that those pupils have made Fayette county one of the most enlightened, prosperous and patriotic counties in Iowa; and the teachers of today, though provided with most of the equip­ment known to modern education, have a task to teach these lessons equally well.
 

Send Fayette School information, pics, living history to save/upload.  iowaz@swbell.net


Iowaz Index Page
Iowaz Photo Hosting Site

iowaz@swbell.net
iowaz@hotmail.com

Any reproduction of this site or it's contents requires express written consent.

Barry Zbornik
Hannibal, MO 


 

Click for Hannibal, Missouri Forecast  Click for Fayette, Iowa Forecast