SHELBY COUNTY MISSOURI
Bacon Chapel Neighborhood
location, history, pioneers, pictures


Bacon Chapel Cemetery


1878 Atlas Shelby Co, Missouri

 

 

 Iowaz Index Page
Iowaz Photo Hosting Site


Page last uploaded:  2005, 2006, May 2010
Last updated:  May 16, 2005; Feb 20, 2006


 



1902 Shelby Co, Atlas, Bacon Chapel area.
Above and below, part of T57R11
1878 Shelby Co, Atlas, Bacon Chapel area.

Plat from 1878 Atlas of Shelby Co, Missouri, shows many of the original pioneers into the Walkerville and Bacon Chapel area.  Walkerville Mill would be on the Salt River in sec18T57R10 as shown below, adjacent and to the right of sec 13 on the above map.  In 1878, the road from Shelbina (which was not platted until into the 1850's) to Shelbyville is the road running through the section numbers 5, 8, 17 on the map below.

 

Of Pioneer Walkerville and Bacon Chapel area on the Salt River
(Reference: Personal knowledge from past projects, 1884 and 1911 and other Shelby County histories and notes.
 

...The Walkerville, Bacon Chapel, Salt River flowage is in the south-central portion of Shelby Co, Missouri.
...The Salt River was the primary factor in the early pioneer location in area and supplied water, water power, timber, bottom land to upland habitat.  A few of the early settlers can be listed.

...1803, the land of Shelby Co was acquired by the U.S. government in the "Louisiana Purchase," and was part of the District of St. Charles.
...1812, in the newly organized County of St. Charles.
...1818, part of Pike Co, when it was organized.
...1820...Palmyra in Marion Co, on what would become a direct route into Shelby Co, was a village of 150 people. A post offices was established in 1821, with mail coming by horse back out of St. Louis through New London. 
...1820, part of Ralls Co, when it was organized.
...1826, part of Marion Co, when it was organized.
...In 1831, Major Obadiah Dickerson, reportedly the first settler in Salt River Twp, and in Shelby Co, came from Marion Co, and settled on the north back of the Salt River, on what would become the road between Shelbyville and Shelbina, sec17,T57,R10.
...1831-1834, part of Warren Twp, Marion Co, until other Marion Co twp's formed.
...In 1832/33, George and Peter Roff located a mile north of Walkerville, sec7,T57,R10.
...1833/34, Wm Coard located on the north bank of the Salt River, a mile north of Walkerville, sec1T57R11.
...1833...Palmyra, a village of 600 lost just over 100 to cholera.  Some people fled toward Shelby Co to escape the disease.  However, Shelby Co would also have its share of cholera and typhoid deaths in the early years.
...1834/35, was an extremely cold, severe winter for the area.  Early fall freezes, severe winter weather, and late spring freezes killed many buds and plants.  Much sickness. 


...Pre 1835...No mills exist.  Two trails ran northward, called ‘Bee roads,’ and used by settlers in the counties below Shelby every autumn in the quest of honey.  Fords across streams were often called ‘Bee ford.’  There were Bee fords on the Salt River and the South Fabius.  One of the bee trails was called the Callaway trail used by honey hunters from the Callaway Co. area.  It ran on the land divide between Black Creek and the North River, to a point about 4mi NE of Shelbyville, sec 14, T58, R10, then crossed a branch of the North River in the NW part of sec 14.  This was a good water source where bee tree hunters camped and rendezvoused.  This area became known as the Camp branch.
...The second trail, the Boone trail,
 made by the bee hunters (prior to the formation of Shelby Co and a short time after) from Boone County (going northward and into Iowa territory), crossed the Salt River above Walkersville (where the mill and village would be after 1840), and Black Creek SW of Shelbyville, and came up to the bluff into the arm of prairie on which Shelbyville now stands, bearing NE across the divide and joining the Callaway Trail south of the North River timbers.  From there it wriggled along through the timber up to the headwaters of the Fabuis River and even up into the waters of the Des Moines River in Iowa.  A Mr. Christian (Charles Hunt Christian) had a ferry at the "Bee Ford," over the Salt River, in 1836 (located in the SE1/4 of the SW1/4 of the NE1/4 of the SE1/4, sec 11, T57R11, Salt River Twp, about 1 1/2 air miles NW of the Walkerville bridge/mill).  The location was below the Warren Ford, near the mouth of Watkin's Branch.  The boat was a flat (flatbottom), propelled by poles.
...Like all pioneer populations, many of the first settlers relied on home milling operations as the hand mill, hominy block, mortar and pestle.  Before the construction of the first mills the early settlers used the Gatewood’s and Massie’s mills near Palmyra in Marion Co,, and the Hickman’s mill at Florida in Monroe Co.  The first saw mills used a single up/down blade (‘mule’ blade).  The grain was ground into grist or coarse ‘flour,’ (corn cracker mills).  They were not prepared to grind and bolt wheat into fine flours. 
...
Some of the early 1830-1840’s settlers of Shelby Co, Missouri,  were ambitious, energetic millwrights building mills at a few of the early favored abundant locations for mills on the various branches and tributaries of the Salt River in northeastern Missouri.   In the very early years the trip to a mill often involved what were very long distances of 20-60 miles at a time when there are only trails and no roads, only oxen drawn wagons and no railroads, only river fords and no bridges.  Even with the building of early pioneer mills every 4-10 miles in Shelby County in the late 1830-1855 timeframe and beyond, the trip to mill could be long, hard, treacherous and dangerous.  Trekking slowly with a heavily laden wagon, often contenting with weather, wetlands, swollen streams, washouts, while camping on the trail with no accommodations.  With time the trips became somewhat easier, but still a challenge until maintained roads and rails started to come into existence by the late 1850’s.


...1835, little actual farming had occurred in Shelby Co.  Early settlers would open up a small patch in a timbered area along some stream and utilize it for garden types of plots for potatoes and vegetables, flax, corn, wheat, rye, buckwheat plots, next to a lean-to or log cabin.  Nearly everything was 'homemade,' including clothing of linen from flax and wool from sheep, or the combination of linsey-wooly.  Wild game usage was very common for food and clothing.
...1835, Cholera again hit at Palmyra, with many families fleeing westward to the country, camping in pole cabins along streams.
...1835, Jan, Shelby Co was organized; two townships, North River and Black Creek.  Oak Dale P.O. in the SE corner of the County would be the first county seat, have the first store and tavern.
...1835, Aug, first election in Shelby Co, two voting places, 85 votes cast out of 100 voters.
...1835, Julius A. Jackson built a mill on Black Creek, near Oak Dale, in sec 6, T57, R9.  This saw/grist mill was destroyed by fire in the mid 1840’s, but was highly utilized.  Holliday stated the mill was built in 1835, others claimed 1837/38.
...1835, late fall, Abraham Vandiver, started the first house/structure in Shelbyville, lot 7, bk 8, just south of the SW corner of the square.  Finished in early winter of 1836, it was a story and a half, constructed of 'huge' hand hewed (shaped, flattened with various axes).  The first Tavern (Inn) was opened at Vandiver's by June, as well as the first goods sold and the first court held July 6th.  The structure still stood in fairly good repair in 1884.
...1835, George Bacon, age 26yrs, had traveled to Palmyra, Missouri, from his Delaware home.  In 1836, he returned to Delaware, invested $2000 in merchandise which he shipped toward Palmyra.  In 1837 he returned and settled in Palmyra, which is the same year he had S. Drain build him a cabin on land he had  apparently purchased on his earlier trip or had bought from eastern speculators.  His mother was Mary Parker.  The Parker's who entered land around the Shelbyville/Salt River very early, may have been related to his mother, thus perhaps this is the reason George Bacon had land in Shelby County and built the cabin at the SW corner of section 9, T57R11.  The Bacon's would be successful warehouse merchants at Hannibal and are buried in Mt. Olivet Cem at Hanniba.

...1836, March, the first sale of town lots in Shelbyville.  All water in the Shelbyville area had to be hauled from Black Creek, a half miles plus to the south.  There was talk of moving the county seat to a location with water.
...1836, June, Abraham Vandiver contracted to dig and wall in a well about 140 feet NW of the courthouse.  He hauled in rock to wall the well and found a weak source at about 100ft, intending to go deeper when heavy rains caused caving in of the walls.  Almost immediately another failed attempt was made on the east side of lot 6, bk 9.
...1836, Peter Stice, in Nov 1835, requested a writ for a water mill on the North River, E ½ of NW ¼, sec 33, T59, R10, at present side of Bethel village.  In 1836 the mill was finished and furnished but only did limited grinding.
...1836,
Silas & Asa Boyce, erected mill on the Salt River, 3 ½ mi SE of Shelbyville, SE ¼ of NW 1/4 , sec 10, T57, R10.  The Boyce Mill was completed by Anthony Blackford, Nehemiah Redding and others.  John Gay of Marion Co was the millwright, with the mill well known and operating for years.
...
1836/37, All of R11 & R12, T60, now Knox Co, were attached to Shelby Co for civil & military purposes.  A road was to be established from Paris, Monroe Co. to the mouth of the Des Moines River at Keokuk, by way of Shelbyville.  By late 1837 the road had opened to Shelbyville.

...1837, Families listed in Shelby Co,MO.
T57,R9
The SE corner of Shelby Co, would contain Oakdale P.O., and 5-12 miles ExNE of Shelbina. In Jackson Twp. Two Hickman brothers, Peter Rinkston, Grabriel Davis, Randolph Howe, Kennedy Mayes, George P. Mayers, Harvey Eidson, Samuel B. Hardy, Samuel Blackburn, George Barker, William B. Broughton, Russell W. Moss,  Fontleroy Dye, Ramey Dye, Elijah Moore, John Thomas, Henry Saunders, Cyrus A. Saunders, Hill Shaw, Robert Duncan, Thomas J. Bounds, Joseph Holman, Joel Musgrove, Thomas H. Clements, David Smallwood, Richard Gartrell, Josiah Abbott, Julius C. Gartrell, Mrs. Desire Gooch.
T58, R9
On the eastern line, 5-11 miles east of Shelbyville, southern portion in Jackson Twp, northern in Tiger Fork. Kindred Feltz, Stephen Gupton, Mrs. Temperance Gupton, William Montgomery, Edward Wilson, Henry Louthan, Robert Lair, Addison Lair, Robert joiner, Anthony Minter, Alexander Buford, Charles N. Hollyman, Elisha Baldwin, Soloman W. Miller, Mrs. Caroline Looney, Oliver Latimer, George W. Gentry.
T59, R9
NE corner of county, Tiger Fork Twp, West Springfield P.O., 4-12 mi ExNE of Bethel. Caleb Adduddle, Benjamine Jones, Mrs. Morgan, Thomas P. Lear, John Cadle, William White, Kemp M. Glasscock, Benjamin P. Glasscock, Daniel Wofl, Benjamine Talbot, Thomas G. Turner, Perry Forsythe, Mr. Whitelock.
T57, R10
Walkerville area
, west half Salt River Twp, eastern half Jackson twp, 3-11 mi S of Shelbyville. Samuel Buckner, Anthony Blackford, James Blackford, Isaac Blackford, Dr. Wood, George Eaton, Jefferson Gash, Col. William Lewis, John Eaton, Charles Smith, Samuel J. Smith, Maj. Obadiah Dickerson, George Anderson, Peter Roff, Samuel C. Smith.
T58,R10
Shelbyville area, Black Creek Twp,  NE portion of county. Albert G. Smith, Samuel Beal, Elijah Pepper, James Swartz, Mrs. Elizabeth Creel, Lewis H. Gillaspy, Alexander Gillaspy, Abraham Vandiver, Montillion H. Smith, Jospeh West, Maj. H. Jones, John Easton, Ezekiel Kennedy, James C. Hawkins, Dr. Hawkins, Elijah Owens, E.L. Holliday, Mrs. Nancy Holliday, John Lemley, Josiah Bethard, Thomas Davis.
T59, R10
Bethel twp, Bethel P.O.  center of north county line. James Ford, John Ralls, Samuel Cochrane, James, G. Glenn, Robert McKitchen, Peter Looney, Jospeh Moss, James Turner, Ferdinand Carter, John Moss, Peter Stice, John Scrat, Lewis Kincaid, Elijah Hall, Hiram Rockwood, Sanford Pickett, James S. Pickett, William S. Chinn, Nathan Baker.
T57, R11
ust to the west of the Walkerville mill area, included Lentner’s Station, eastern half in Salt River Twp, western in Clay and Lentner Twp’s.  The Bacon Chapel area. David D. Walker, David Wood, Malcom Wood, William Wood, James Carothers, William Coard, Nicholas Watkins, Perry B. Moore, Isaac W. Moore, Mrs. Mary Wailes, Pettyman Blizzard, James R. Barr, Lacy Morris, Stanford Drain, James Carroll, Barclay Carroll, John B. Lewis, James Parker, George Parker, Capt. B. Melson, Major Taylor, Robert Brewington, Henry Brewington.  1838, Heckart’s, John Strayer, William Boyd.
T58, R11
In Black Cr. Twp, 2-8 mi west of Shelbyville, and east of Hager’s Grove.  John Thomas, John Dunn, Elijah Pollard, Philip Upton, John T. Victor, William Victor, Aaron B. Glasscock, Martin Baker, Michael See.

...1837, Perry B. Moore, Isaac Moore, from Delaware, and their sister Mrs. Mary Wailes, settled in the NW 1/4 of sec10,T57,R11.
...1837, The old Methodist Church at Bacon Chapel's location was organized in the fall of 1837 with John B. and Charlotte Lewis, Charles Hunt Christian and wife Dolly Ann Wiley Christine, Mary I. Wailes, Margaret A. Moore, M. Wheeler, David Wood, William Wood and Stanford Drain as its original members.  No schools or churches had been established until this time...Bacon Chapel is one of the oldest church congregations in Shelby Co, MO, being organized in the fall of 1837Some of its first members were John B. and Charlotte Lewis, Charles and Dollie Christian, Mary I. Wailes, Margaret A. Moore, M. Wheeler, David and Wm. Wood, S. Drain, James Barr, Lacy Morris, Perry B. Moore, John S. Duncan, James Carroll, S.R. Gunby.  The first ministers were Wm. Pryor, Conley Smith, T. Ashby, Tyson Dines, Martin L. Eads, James M. Geen, P.M. Pinkard, Jacob Sigler, James Wainright, J.B. Calloway, George Smith, J.B. Baker, M. Birch, W.K. Miller, W.M. Bush.
...The church was organized at the cabin of J.B. Lewis, about a half mile north of the present Bacon Chapel.  Services were held at the Lewis cabin for some time, then held in a log cabin known as Bacon's Cabin, where the first Sunday School was organized, with Judge P.B. Moore being the superintendent.  This (Bacon's) cabin was built by S. Drain as a residence for George Bacon, father of Judge (George Jr.) Bacon of Hannibal.  For some reason George Bacon never moved into the cabin and it was only used as a meeting house.

...1837, spring, Joseph & Thomas Holman, Robert Blackford, Robert Brewinton, all opened grocery stores (mercantile businesses).  July, Thomas & Hamlet Eskridge opened a tavern (Inn) in Shelbyville.
...1837/38, a brick courthouse was started and completed on the square at Shelbyville.  Brick had to be burned locally.  Woodwork was hauled by wagon from the Hannibal area, 40+ miles away.  Mills were just starting to appear in the county.
...
1837, William J. Holliday, in March 1837, made application for a mill on Black Creek 2 ½ miles S and E of Shelbyville, on the W ½ of the NE ¼, sec 27, T58, R10.
...1837, William H. Clagett, T.P. Lair and others made application the same time as Hollicay and built a mill just afterward on the South Fabius, where Newark road crosses the stream, in the NW ¼ of the SE  ¼ , sec 11, T59, R9.  This mill operated for a number of years.
...1837, fall, Dutton’s Mill, on north fork of the Salt River, 3m SE of Hager’s Grove and 10mi S of W of Shelbyville, in the NE 1/4 , sec 35, R58, T12, was started by Julius A. Jackson.  Before fully completed the mill dam washed out.


...1838, James and John Barr from Delaware, to sec15T57R11.
...1838, James Carroll, from Indiana, to sec9T57R11.
...1838, July, Adam and Michael Heckart, sons of John Adam Heckart, made application for a mill on the North Fork of the Salt River, 5mi SW of Shellbyville, about 3 ½ mi north of what would be Lentner Station, in the NE 1/4 , sec 4, T57, R11.  It is was not remembered if the mill was ever started.  The Heckart’s, John Strayer and William Boyd did run a horse mill for sometime in this area on the river bottoms, a mile north of what would later be known as Bacon Chapel.  It is likely this group joined with Barker and perhaps others to build the mill at Walkerville by 1840.  The Heckart’s, Strayer and Boyd would run and own the Walkerville mill through much of the 1840’s.
...1838, John Adam Sr. Heckart's family, from Butler Co, Penn, to sec3&4T57R11, accompanied by a young John Strayer and William Boyd.  The Heckart/Strayer/Boyd connection were Penn Mill Wrights and set up a horse mill in sec4, one of the first mills in the county and perhaps the first in the immediate area of Bacon Chapel, plus they started construction on a water mill in sec 4.  John Adam Sr, died likely from typhoid in the fall of 1838 a few months of arriving but the family continued the milling operation.  However, with David O. Walker and George Barker apparently funding a mill site at what would become the Walkerville Mill site, it appears John Adam Jr Heckart, John Michael Heckart, John Strayer and William Boyd, among others went to that location to build the Mill and had it running by 1840, and immediately taking over its operation and eventually its ownership through the early decade plus of its operation.  Mill ownership and operation often involved multiple partnerships/ownerships, and required numerous local millers, sawyers, blacksmiths, carpenters, etc.  The mill power was often utilized to operate early woodworking 'machinery' used by furniture makers, coopers, etc. Walkerville would become a hub of early pioneer  'industry' on the Salt flowage until the rails and their 'stations' started to out-compete local craftsman.  The Walkerville Mill was had a 'mule' style or straight saw blade that moved up and down.  This was common with water mills as circle blades required the power/speed of steam.  The Walkerville mill would be a saw and grist mill combination, but also had an early carding machines run from the water power, which were used to process or comb wool.  More information regarding Walkerville and the mill will be added to this page or an accompanying page in due time.
...1838, March, Hill Shaw built a mill on Black Creek, 2mi NE of what would be Lakenan village, in the NE 1/4 , sec 35, T58, R12.
...1838, a fall agricultural fair was established at Shelbyville.
...1838, the first school was built at the site of what would become Bacon Chapel.  The constructions was of logs, with a puncheon floor (rough planks hand split from logs), clapboard roof, greased paper as windows, rough log benches.  John B. Lewis was the first teacher in 1838, with about twenty students, to include Isaac, John and Mary Wailes; Anderson, Cornelia and Mary Tobin; George and Mary Lewis.
....1838, Dr. John Hills came from Ohio, locating near the north line of sec9T57R11, and practiced over a 20 miles radius until going to California.
...Other early settlers included W.T. Coard in sec1T57R11, Dr. James Rackliff (Ratliff?) on the NE1/4sec12T57R11.  Prettyman Blizzard, James Carothers and Michael Watkins near Bacon Chapel.
...1838, by late fall, Edwin G. & Warren Pratt built a mill on the Little Fabuis, in the NE corner of Shelby Co or just into Knox Co.

...1839...Salt River Township was organized in 1839 but would have changes involving Clay and Lentner Twps toward the end of the century.
...1839...The first bridge crossed Black Creek SxSW of Shelbyville.
...1839, March, Samuel Buckner constructed a mill on the North River, about 2mi below Bethel, in the NE ¼, sec 3, T58, R10.  This mill operated a short time.

...1837-1840, movement into the Salt River flowage and tributaries was fairly rapid with most of the good locations for pioneer farming and 'industry rapidly taken up as the hard times up to about 1848 set in to the county.
...1839, 1840, Mr. Williams of Marion Co, entered the 80a tract on which the mill at Walkerville would be built.  He was considering a mill at this location but died before anything was accomplished.  David O. Walker and George W. Barker bought the land and a mill was in operation sometime in late  1840.  George W. Barker was a Penn. German millwright and likely was joined by the Heckart’s, John Strayer and William Boyd, plus others in the actual construction, completion and operation of the mill.  The Walkerville mill would become the largest and most important mill in Shelby Co, operating well into the 1870’s.  Wool carding machines were added early in the 1840’s.

...1840...Shelby County population was 3,056.  Six townships, Black Creek, North River, Salt River, Fabius, Tiger Fork, Jackson.  Up to this time crops were generally good without pest infestations.  What little livestock as there was ran in a free range type of environment in many cases.  There was little fruit in the area, but orchids would be established as pioneers brought in dormant shouts.  Money was always very scare on the frontier.  The first settlers generally traded products and/or services to include honey, beeswax, venison, hams, butter, wool, linen, whisky, etc.
...1840, John S. Duncan, from Kentucky, settled in NWsec16T57R11, after being in the area in 1836 and continuing to prospect for locations.  John S. Duncan brought four large Kentucky draft horse which were in demand to break the virgin prairie sod, plus he had a large schooner wagon used by an entire area to 'go to mill.' 
...1840, two licensed places of entertainment (place to stay) in Shelby Co, George Gaines at Oak Dale and Joab Moberly's tavern at Shelbyville.
...1842/3...A very bad year for crops due to chinch bug infestations.  Crops short, money scarce, very hard times.
...1844...Mail from Hannibal/Palmyra came in daily by hacks and stage except during high water.  Stock raising and shipping was becoming more prominent.  There was a tanning operation, a 'tanyard' east of Shelbyville on Clear Creek near the mill.  Very high water during the spring rains.
...1845...Bacon Chapel was the first church building in the area, built by Methodists in 1845, on in the middle of the southern line of sec9T57R11.  The construction was logs covered with on the sides and roof by clapboards (rough cut lumber from the sawmill).  Father Ead's held the first service before a clapboard floor was put in place.  The original building stood until the present building (in 1911) was constructed in the 1860's (still utilized in 2005 for services twice a month).  George Bacon (from Hannibal) deeded the site for the church, thus the name Bacon Chapel and Cemetery.

...1845...A group of German immigrants moved into government land west of Shelbyville.
...1845, by this time most areas of the county had settlers.
...1846...First county jail built at the courthouse in Shelbyville.  Volunteers from Shelby Co. were in the Mexican War.
...1846, July, A company of Shelby Co men organized at Palmyra for the Mexican War.  Anson Smith became Captain after David Willock took over command of the extra battalion. Shelby County members of Co. I, 2nd Missouri Volunteers for the Mexican War, were Willock's Extra Battalion:  1st Lt. James A. Corothers; privates William H. Brown, George W. Baker, J. Calvin Carothers, Robert Clark (died in service, Las Vegas, Feb 22, 1847), James R. Creel, Thomas S. Dunbar, Peter P. Davis, James Parker, W.R. Strachan.

...1848 to the civil war the county settled into a land use similar to what would be found for many decades, then stagnated during the war years, and started a boom time from about 1866 into the mid 1870's when emigration into the area slowed with the 'panic of 1873.'
...1849...A group of Monroe and Shelby Co men made a very early move into the California gold fields in 1849.
...1853, the first newspaper, at Shelbyville.
...1854, July 27, John Michael Heckart, brother of John Adam Jr.,  bought from Thomas F. Barker, the Walkerville Mill, damn, yard, carding machines.
...1855, Jan, heavy snow, followed by cold and severe drifting.  May 1855, heavy frost killed much of the hickory leaves, clover, fruit, wheat.
...1855,
...1856, very high water during the spring.
...1856/57, a very wet fall followed by a wet, hard winter.  Many cattle died from exposure and lack of fodder.
...1856/57, John Michael Heckart sold to Thomas Sweargen the Walkerville Mill, dam and yard, in halves, before he moved the family to Oregon for the remainder of his life

...1857, Shelbina was platted along the Hannibal/St.Jo RR.  Shortly after that 'friends' of Walkerville petitioned the county to reroute the 1836 'state road' from Paris to the mouth of the Des Moines River, from a direct N/S route through Shelbyville to Shelbina, instead through Walkerville.  A 'commission' studied the proposals but retained the direct route for the state road, and established a county road to cross the Salt River at Walkerville.
...1857, about 12 miles to the west of Walkerville at Hager’s Grove, for awhile only had a blacksmith shop near the water mill on the Salt River, but in the spring of 1857 Joseph and William Walker, Dr. Pile and William P. Casey, emigrants from Iowa, bought a steam sawmill and put it in operation at Hager's Grove.  Steam mills were run by the large mobile locomotive type of steam tractors.

...1859...The Hannibal-St. Joseph Railroad was completed through Shelby Co and would bring rapid commercial/economic and social change due to the unlimited and quick movement of people and product.  The Hannibal-St.Joseph Railroad was the first from the Mississippi River to the Missouri River and the movement westward, this a great amount of 'history' traveled through Shelby Co, Missouri during the later part of the 1800's.
...1959, gold fever hit for Pike's Peak, but it was a 'bust,' with many not making the full trip and returning or going elsewhere.
...1860, Shelby Co had 724 slaves, most on farms in the southern half of the county near Monroe Co, and from the Kentucky and Virginia area.  This would be the largest slave population.  At the start of the civil war, 1862/63, many of the slaves left their owners.  When totally released/freed by 1865, most of the slaves left the county for Macon or Hannibal, or Illinois and other states.
...1860/61, the turmoil leading up to the civil war was being felt all over northeast Missouri.
...1860, Shelbyville, the county seat had grown only slowly, and had been bypassed by the Hannibal-St. Joe Railroad.  The coming war would have likely crushed enterprise and advancement.
...1861-1865, Shelbyville became a Union military post.  A fifteen foot high stockade surrounded the courthouse, which housed Union troops and prisoners, with other troops in the hotel and homes.
...1862
The 'bushwacking' near Walkerville; two soldiers and one citizen killed.
A typical account of the local fighting, hard feelings and hardships created during the war years (Edited for easier reading, and also an attempt to make it a bit more objective/scientific by removing some of the subjective/emotional vocabulary, and often slight Union 'leanings' in the original verson.)
...On Wed, April 2, 1862, Co. H.S. Lipscomb of the 11th Mo State Militia and Capt. Wilmot, with an escort of 13 men started from Shelbina heading to Shelbyville via the Walkerville road, with a wagon load of supplies.  A little less than a mile south of the the Walkerville Mill they were ambused by Tom Stacy's band of about 16 men.  Two militiamen of the 11th Missouri State Militia, Mr. Long and Thomas Herbst from Shelby Co, plus a citizen of Shelby Co, Lilburn Hale who lived 3mi SE of Shelbyville, were killed by Stacy's men.  Mr. Hale had been overtaken about a quarter mile from the ambush, on his way home by the State Militia and was riding with them.  He had gone to Shelbina that morning to mail a letter to his son J.C. Hale in Pike Co.  All the men were shot in the head at close range.  It was wondered why at least a dozen were not killed.  Ring, Deener and Henning of the 11th Missouri State Militia were wounded.
...Col Lipscomb galloped on to Shelbyville to give the alarm.  The Militia at Shelbyville, Lt. John Donahue with 25 men started immediately in pursuit of Stacy.  Lt. Holiday's squad, under Sgt. Engles, went directly to the site of the shooting and started on the trail in the muddy ground from the Walkerville area SE.  In the middle of the afternoon the next day, Lt. Donahue came upon Stacy's group at Kincheloe bride on Black Creek, ten miles east of Walkersville.  Stacy had just crossed the bridge heading north or northeast.  The Federals were going east.  The Federals charged Stacy's men, who scattered, taking to the brush, swimming back across Black Creek or just fleeing straight away. 
...Two of Stacy's men were killed outright, one drowned in Black Creek and another badly wounded was never found.  Stacy himself abandoned his horse and gear.  Stacy's men killed were, William Carnehan who lived at Walkerville, leaving a wife and child, and James Bradley from NW Shelby Co.  Bradley had been riding a mule and either jumped or was thrown off.  He then threw away a fine double barrel shotgun and started to run.  Sgt. John S. Duncan, alter postmaster at Shelbyville, being mounted, was immediately upon Bradley, who stopped, threw up his hands and called out rapidly and excitedly, "Don't shoot, I give up, I hain't done nothing," etc.  Duncan replied, "Well, I can't shoot an unarmed man," lowering  his gun.  As Bradley started to go back as for his shotgun, Duncan said, "Don't run."  
...Tom Phillaber, from NE Shelby Co. rode up just then, and without a word fired a rifle ball into Bradley's chest from about 10ft, killing him.  Bill Carnehan was shot out of his saddle farther down the creek.  The man that drowned was wounded just as he entered the water. 
...Tom Stacy fleeing, leaped from his horse, taking cover behind a tree with his short rifle.  Lt. Donahue fired twice at Stacy, missing both time.  Stacy without firing, slipped away into the brush and was not found by the searching militiamen.  No Federals had been injured as only a few shots had been fired at them.  The Federals commandeered a wagon and returned to Shelbyville with the bodies.
...Back in Shelbyville, while Stacy's band was being pursued, Capt. John F. Benjamin was enraged at the killing of Long, Herbst and Hale at Walkerville.  From a room full of Confederate prisoners in the sheriff's office upstairs at the courthouse, he declared he would shoot three of them in retaliation to the Unionists killed.  His first selection was Rowland Harvey (alias Maj. Jones) and elderly reputable citizen of Clarke Co, who had been captured near Elliottsville on the Salt River in Monroe Co a few days earlier, by a scouting party led by Capt. Benjamin, himself.  Harvey was a Lt. in a band of Confederate partisans lead my Capt. Marion Marmaduke.
...A guard grabbed Harvey out of the prison room, hurried him downstairs and outside into the stockade on the SE corner of the square, then tied him to one of the palisades (fortress like poles around the courthouse).  Harvey seemed to think it was a scare tactic to frighten him.  In two minutes six soldiers with Austrian rifles lined up, the command 'fire' was given and Harvey's head dropped while his body went limp and twisted on the retaining ropes.  Benjamin made some Confederate sympthizers cut down Harvey and carry the body into an old log building in the rear of J.B. Marmadukes's store, off the SW corner of the Square.  Harvey was prepared for burial and interred by the citizens in the Shelbyville Cemetery.
...Benjamin selected from the now terror-strickened prisoners huddled together, a young John Wesley Sigler, who had been captured with Harvey, for the next execution.  However, about this time more rational-minded men urged it would be better to wait to see the results of Donahue and Holliday's 'scout' would be.  Soon Donahue returned with the wagon bearing the corpses of Charnehan and Bradley, which were 'tumbled' into the room with Harvey.  Apparently Benjamin's wrath was mollified and nobody else was shot.

...1861/62, winter, two Union companies of Col. Glover's Regiment were quartered at the courthouse in Shelbyville.  Many local Union county men enlisted in these companies, or to others of the same regiment.  A palisade of 15ft oak poles was constructed around the square under the direction of Capt Benjamin.
...During 1862 the people of NEMO were starting to realize with more and more frequency the tragedies and hardships of the Civil war years.  Col. Glover adopted strong, aggressive, ruthless policies of pursuit.  He advised Capt Benjamin to confiscate twice as much property from rebel families as were taken by rebel partisans, and to collect from local secessionists for the support of the families of Union men killed.
...1862, April, Col. Grover advised by secret letter sent to Capt Benjamin, a list of 65 names of partisans he felt were involved with attacking and killing Union troops.  He indicated he had six in custody, and had 'killed one of the murderers,' William Musgrove.  The partisans were scattered all over the country, but actively pursue, capture and hold them.  These men are frequently to be found in the vicinity of Magruder's on Black Creek.  They have a habit of crossing the Salt River, SW of Shelbyville, on a bridge on an unfrequented road (this would be the area of the Salt River bottoms from Walkerville upstream by Bacon Chapel toward Hager's Grove). Give it some attention.  My instructions are not to bring in these fellows, if they can be induced to run, and if the men are instructed they can make them run.
...1862, June, Col. Grover was ordered to SW Missouri.  Co. John McNeil was placed in command the Union in NEMO, stationed out of Palmyra.  Gen Schofield's Order No. 18, was now, "enjoining the 'utmost vigilance in hunting down and destroying' all bushwhackers and marauders (partisans), who, the order said, 'when caught in arms, engaged in their unlawful warfare,' were to be shot down, 'on the spot.'"  This would be happening often.
...1862, saw the campaign against the most successful Confederate partisan, Col. Joseph Porter heat up and conclude with him moving into southern Missouri.  The Federals then say it proper to shoot some of Porter's men for violating their paroles (oaths) or in retaliation for killing Union men.  The Federal retaliation would include the ten men executed in what would become known as the Palmyra Massacre.  Gen Lewis Merrill would also execute ten prisoners at Macon.  Some of the executions were Shelby Co. men.
...By the winter of 1862/63,  the Missouri, Iowa, Illinois Union Troops had control of NEMO's rails, roads, rivers, commerce, people, but hard feeling would continue to run deep for a very long time.
***A fairly true visual look at Missouri in the early civil war years is depicted by the movie, "Ride with the Devil.'  Written by a Missourian, filmed in Missouri, the movie is described as, "Following four people in the turmoil of the early war years on the Missouri/Kansas border.  A staunch Union loyalist, a German immigrant's son, a freed slave, and a young widow, who form an unlikely friendship as they learn how to survive in the uncertain time, in a place without rules and redefine the meaning of bravery and honor."
...1862, warm weather, the Confederate forces under Co. Joseph C. Porter from just east of Newark in Lewis Co, were moving around NEMO recruiting troops and disrupting Federal activities.  Several hundred men from Shelby Co were in the command of Porter as well as a hundred or more with Federal forces against Porter. 
...1865, After the Civil War, business in Shelbyville slowly revived.
...1865, John Michael Heckart sold the carding machines he still owned at the Walkerville Mill to Peter Roff who farmed a mile plus north of the Mill area.  John Michael would remove to Oregon for the remainder of his life and only his brother Florian, would continue living in the area, farming 3/4 miles west of the Mill, while working at the Mill site.
...1870, present Bacon Chapel Church finished and dedicated....1876 and the following few years, most of the brick and other buildings around the square were completed.
...1884, the Walkerville Mill is purchased by Daniel J. Swinney.  Of the  Swinney Bros. Owners and Propietors of the Walkersville Saw and Grist and Carding Mills, Post Office, Shelbina.    Among the early settlers of NEMO were Daniel’s parents the Rev. John G. and Sarah Ann Matthews Swinney, who came here from Kentucky. They reared a family of eight children.  The sixth born (1857) was Alonzo Patrick (Lon) a businessman of Clarence, MO.   Daniel J. was the eldest,  born in Macon County, November 10, 1845. Daniel was reared on his father's farm in Macon Co. In 1861, age 15, he enlisted in the Southern Army under Gen. Clark and served with unfaltering devotion and unflinching courage until the close of the war. He was in many hard fought battles, including Pea Ridge, Corinth, Prarie Grove, Helena, Mobile and a number of others. He received but one slight wound during the war. Returning to the home farm after the war,  In February 1868, he married to Sarah A., daughter of John A. and Nancy Johnson, of Monroe County, formerly of Virginia. In 1880 Mr. Swinney had the misfortune to lose his wife Sarah. She left him three children Anna B., James A. and Edward.   Reared a farmer, Daniel continued that occupation until 1875, when he engaged in milling in Monroe County for about nine years.  In the spring of 1884 he came to Shelby County and in partnership with a younger brother, Emmet D., bought the saw, grist and carding mills at Walkerville, which they have since run with success (1911). Mr. Swinney is a member of the Baptist Church, as his wife was before her death and he is also a member of the A.F. and A.M.

 


...1897, Notes edited from a "Visit to Bacon Chapel," Shelbina Paper;  The children's exercises at Bacon chapel were attended by a large crowd estimated between 1000 and 1500.  Perhaps the largest since its dedication in 1870.  Rev. John Anderson preached a strong sermon in the morning.  A collection was taken up to help pay off a debt on the parsonage at Shelbina, which about $80 subscribed.  A noon meal was served on the ground, with a table erected o the north side of the church with chicken, ham, pies, cakes, jellies, preserves, pickles, coffee.  All the victuals brought brought in were placed on the table like a big family reunion where everybody was welcome to help themselves.  About 2pm the children's exercises began.   All the seats, aisles and standing room in the church was filled with hundred standing about the windows and doors on the outside. Nathan Taylor, (Sunday School) superintendent, conducted the exercises.

...Bacon Chapel is one of the oldest church congregations in Shelby Co, MO, being organized in the fall of 1837Some of its first members were John B. and Charlotte Lewis, Charles and Dollie Christian, Mary I. Wailes, Margaret A. Moore, M. Wheeler, David and Wm. Wood, S. Drain, James Barr, Lacy Morris, Perry B. Moore, John S. Duncan, James Carroll, S.R. Gunby.  The first ministers were Wm. Pryor, Conley Smith, T. Ashby, Tyson Dines, Martin L. Eads, James M. Geen, P.M. Pinkard, Jacob Sigler, James Wainright, J.B. Calloway, George Smith, J.B. Baker, M. Birch, W.K. Miller, W.M. Bush.

...The church was organized at the cabin of J.B. Lewis, about a half mile north of the present Bacon Chapel.  Services were held at the Lewis cabin for some time, then held in a log cabin known as Bacon's Cabin, where the first Sunday School was organized, with Judge P.B. Moore being the superintendent.  This (Bacon's) cabin was built by S. Drain as a residence for George Bacon, father of Judge (George Jr.) Bacon of Hannibal.  For some reason George Bacon never moved into the cabin and it was only used as a meeting house.

(Note:  In 1835, George Bacon, age 26yrs, had traveled to Palmyra, Missouri, from his Delaware home.  In 1836, he returned to Delaware, invested $2000 in merchandise which he shipped toward Palmyra.  In 1837 he returned and settled in Palmyra, which is the same year he had S. Drain build him a cabin on land he had  apparently purchased on his earlier trip or had bought from eastern speculators.  His mother was Mary Parker.  The Parker's who entered land around the Shelbyville/Salt River very early, may have been related to his mother, thus perhaps this is the reason George Bacon had land in Shelby County and built the cabin at the SW corner of section 9, T57R11. 

 

 



 

Iowaz Index Page
Iowaz Photo Hosting Site


iowaz@swbell.net or iowaz@hotmail.com

Any reproduction of this site or it's contents requires express written consent.

Barry Zbornik
Hannibal, MO 


 

Click for Hannibal, Missouri Forecast  Click for Fayette, Iowa Forecast